7/27/2010

Here's what's great about the city, so far

Living in a big city has its hassles, sure. But there are so many reasons to love the city too. Just a few of my top of mind favs.

--Produce stands: On nearly any corner, you can find summer's freshest produce for prices more reasonable than back home. Craving strawberries on your way home from running errands? There they are, $2.00 a pack!

--Online grocery shopping: I feel guilty/lazy for confessing this, but I just bought groceries online for the first time. I am slightly ashamed because (a) I stay at home all day and should be able to make it out to the store and (b) said store is literally on my block, just steps away. But I wanted to try out the service to see if I like it. I got $10 off my order as a first time user, and I bought enough to waive any delivery fees. So why not have someone do the shopping for me and deliver to my place at my preferred time while I take care of other things, like my baby, doggie and house (always laundry to do and cleaning to take care of and dinner to make and so much more!).

--The sights: I am loving our neighborhood. It's very residential and family friendly, but with great shops and restaurants nearby too. And because the city is old, there is great architecture. I mean, all the buildings are just gorgeous. And what's not to love about living on an island, with two rivers and parks and sailboats. It almost feels like being on vacation taking a walk along the water's edge. Interesting people abound as well, like the man who runs in a black unitard and pantyhose. I find myself saying, "Only in New York".

--The folks: I don't know how New York gets a tough, mean reputation. Everyone is so nice and friendly, I think especially because we have a baby and a dog. Sure, you might run into someone who's not as nice as others, but that's true of any city.

I could go on. I told Danny it could be dangerous that I'm really "in like" with New York. It could border on growing into "love". That's dangerous because, then, when would I want to move?

No comments: