3/15/2011

My latest attempt at all things crafty

Before Baby A was born, I attempted my first big sewing project: all of the nursery linens for the babies room. I did (almost) everything on a visit to Atlanta, with my mom guiding me along the way and letting me use her sewing machine (thanks mom!). Well, I received a sewing machine of my very own from Santa, and I finally had a chance to use it once I received the thread kit I ordered online. D and I had purchased a whole bunch of fabrics from the NYC garment/fashion district, and I had picked out some patterns before we moved from Virginia. This past weekend, I took a stab at my first clothing item for the baby.

A little pink dress:






I did have to call mom for phone consultations, but I did it! There are definitely things I would do differently next time around, but I am pleased that the thing is put together. I still have to put in the zipper and attach the bow at the neck. I am also making a pair of matching bloomers. I have two other outfits to go. This is such fun practice for me as I learn to sew. Maybe I'll have the nerves to make a Halloween costume for the baby this fall. We'll see.
Crafts are such a fun thing for me to do during nap time, when I am not taking care of other chores. My evenings are spent with projects with the hubby (taxes! budgets! oh joy!) and working on the latest rounds of revisions for my thesis proposal. The crafting is a fun outlet for me. I am also looking forward to starting Strollercize this week and going forward the next 8 weeks. Here's hoping the weather will stay nice!

1 comment:

Camila Garcia said...

Wow Amber this is beautiful! You are so talented. I love the dress and I'm sure you could make a very cute costume for her. Can't wait to see other things- I might need to get a class from you- I have a sewing machine but only used it a handful of times :(